Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Visitors!

This past weekend I had some visitors come hang out with me in Gangwon-do (the region of Korea that I live in).  Hadley and Addie came! We met on Saturday morning in Chuncheon (the capital city in my region, it is about a half hour north of Hongcheon). I’ve only been to Chuncheon a handful of times so I’m not that familiar with the city, however, I did know a little bit and was able to figure out a few places to hang out. We first met by the E-mart (Korea’s Walmart) and ate right away in the food court. We then started to walk to the shopping area, which is pretty famous in Chuncheon, and were stopped on our way there by someone yelling my name. It was one of my teammates. I did warn Hads ahead of time that people may do that to me in Hongcheon but that’s the first time someone has recognized me in Chuncheon. She told me she was studying and that she had a test tomorrow… I think at least, haha! It was raining a lot so we decided to check out the underground mall first. Down in the mall they had little rest areas where you could sit down. Korea did not let us down here with its tackiness. Hads took a pic of Addie and I sitting by one of the lovely waterfalls; take a close look at it! Haha



The rest of time in Chuncheon consisted of wandering around the shopping area, stopping in at Paris Baguette for a snack and Starbucks for coffee! Around 4pm we headed back to Hongcheon. When we got to Hongcheon we came and relaxed for a bit then invited Dajeong out for dinner with us! She loved it! We told her to walk us to a Korean Barbeque restaurant and she ended up running into her uncle on the street (who happens to be the uncle that works at the Hite beer factory I’m trying to tour soon) and he told us to get in his car and he would drive us to a nice restaurant. It was really tasty! After dinner Addie, Hads and I headed to Wabar for a beer. The owner of the Wabar is actually one of my students’ mom. One of the first times I went there a complimentary fruit plate appeared at my table for free… I’m assuming it was a thank you for teaching my student fruit plate, either way I enjoyed it! Wabar was a good time though; they had some live music for a while and played a couple of English songs! While I was walking to the bathroom I heard someone call my name. It ended up being one of the guys who plays for Hongcheon’s 30+ team and his wife! I swear everywhere I go these days I see at least one or two people on the street saying hi to me that I know. 


Wonderland! The outside of my school.

Sunday I made some delicious pancakes for Hadley and Addie then we put on our matching purple ponchos that Hadley and Addie bought on their way over to Chuncheon. Thanks again guys, it was a great purchase! I gave them a walking tour of Hongcheon in the rain that actually cleared up a little as the day went on which was nice. We took a walking tour with stops at a few food places obviously and then spent some time at a really cool coffee shop called the Bath House which used to be an actual bathhouse but then was converted into a coffee shop. After the coffee shop Hadley and Addie headed out for their adventure home to Seoul. It was a fun and relaxing weekend, I’m always happy to have visitors come! Thanks for coming guys! 


Walking on the bridge by the river. 

The mountains always look so pretty when it rains.

This weird blue guy is my town's mascot, haha. (Addie and I)

Hads and I with the blue raindrop!

The little flower thing is the town's symbol.

Walking to the sports fields.

This is one of the tiny little fields that I practice at.. it's astroturf. 

 Our sweet purple ponchos which got us many comments walking around my town... three white girls in purple ponchos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment