Friday, June 17, 2011

60 plus

So, I’ve decided to start sharing random thoughts I have about Korea in my blog.  First of all, I think one of their greatest inventions is the button at tables in restaurants that you push if you want service. It is a fantastic invention. Along with the beer cooler built into the table, another great invention that needs to make it’s way to America. 



Last weekend I went to Seoul on Friday after school to meet up with Hadley and a bunch of other foreigners for a night out on the town. Everyone who knows me well knows I like my sleep. Well, Korean culture is to stay out until the sun rises the next morning. Friday night was no exception. We did a little bar hopping, hanging out, dancing, and ended the night with Korean bbq. Hadley and I got back to her apartment at 5am… Korea is killing my sleeping schedule! Now don't get me wrong, this isn't every weekend that I stay up till the early morning, but it definitely happens. Here are a few pics from Friday night... 

 

This is so normal, to see people passed out randomly near the bars... Haha. Hadley thought it was a good photo op! 



Saturday Hadley and I headed to Myeong-dong to check out the markets. We walked around for a bit and checked out some stores. We ended up staying there for most of the day just wondering the streets and getting lost. I had to head back to Hongcheon Saturday night because I had a game early Sunday morning. When we left Myeong-dong Hads and I decided to check out Wangsimni (a subway stop where we end up meeting often when I come to town). It ended up being a really cool area that we stumbled upon! It had a neat little mall and a great outside area to hang out at. Needless to say, I think we will be hanging out there more often now!


One of the tasty treats Hadley and I ate Saturday. Potatoes on a stick... I've had them at the state fair before! 

These people with the bottles and silver and blue balloons are advertising for some "sprite" like pop. They were walking all over the markets making a scene and giving away their pop... Hadley and I had a sip and threw ours away. I'm not the pop drinker to begin with but when it's free,  I'll try it! 

This girl was in the mall in Wangsimni right outside of Starbucks. She was a "mechanical" doll type thing. She had mad skills... 

This was a tower clock in a park area right outside of the mall in Wangsimni. Hadley and I sat out here for a while to people watch.


Koreans love hanging things from their cell phones. They put little keychain looking things on them. Most cell phones here have antennas too to watch tv on their phones. It’s crazy how much they love tv, especially their Korean soap operas (Karley you would love it).  Some of their cell phones are almost as big as an iPad… those ones are crazy.  Anyways, I saw the most ridiculous cell phone decoration the other day with Hadley. This girl legitimately had a stuffed animal hanging from her cell phone… check it out!



The new replacement for my pita chips is now tofu chips that Hadley introduced to me from Paris Baguette. They were a great find Hads. I love them. When I went to Daegu to visit Kalie I was talking about them all the time and she said “Oh wow Julie, this is going to be like your obsession of pita chips all over again…” haha. Good thing they’re not expensive...



Sunday morning I had a soccer game bright and early. One of my teammates picked me up at 7:30. I didn’t get back to Hongcheon till 11:30 on Saturday night so I was exhausted to say the least. We ended up playing grandpas… I’m not kidding you. They were 60+ and 70+ teams. The team was telling me that I can’t push them… Haha. It ended up being a little mini tournament type thing. I never know what I’m getting into when I go to these soccer “games”. Half the time when I go it ends up being a couple of teams that are at the game and we play a long half with each of them. I learn to just go with it… even if I have questions, no one speaks English! The team is doing a lot better though I will say at trying to learn English. I know a handful of words now too because of them. And yes, we did beat the grandpas. After the games I took a long nap. Later that night Dajeong (the captains daughter) called and wanted to hang out with me. She’s 16 and speaks English very well. I use her as my translator a lot. I love her; she’s super nice and tells me all the gossip about the team! Haha. Here are some pictures below of a game I had a few weeks ago. Hadley and Addie (Hadley's friend I met here from Chicago) came to my game to cheer me on!





Coach talking to me... My translator, Dajeong, was there so I understood a lot more of what he was telling me to do.









Addie, Hadley, and I

Dajeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment