Monday, May 16, 2011

Hongcheon

I thought it was about time that I post pictures of where I live. I live in a town called Hongcheon, which is in the Gangwon-do region of South Korea. It is a very pretty part of the country situated east of Seoul. It takes me an hour by express bus to get into Seoul. My town is in the countryside. Mountains surround Hongcheon and there is a river that flows through the middle of town. I live in the downtown area of Hongcheon. I really like my location. I have a two floor commute to my school, it takes me 7-10 minutes to walk to the bus station, and 5 to walk to my soccer field where I practice. However, if any of my teammates see me walking while they're driving to the field they insist that I get in the car and drive me. Haha. I have dunkin donuts, paris baguette, a couple different coffee shops, puma and nike store right near me. I haven’t figured out how to use the buses here to venture outside of my little area of Hongcheon yet. I want to explore more of my town; I just may have to take a Korean or someone who knows where they are going with me.  



 Washing Machine

Kitchen

 The view out my kitchen/laundry room


My awesome fold down couch I bought! 


My sink/shower



Random gardens everywhere. My building is the tan one of the right behind the garden. 

The local pharmacy a block from my house. Little Julie's dad own's it. He speaks a bit of english and is super nice.

Food stands on the side of the street. The orange stand (which is gone now) was my favorite when I first got here. It was the hoddeok man (it's a pancake that has the sugar and nuts in the middle in it... delicious) I guess it's a seasonal thing here in Korea so he's only out during the winter :(

This is the corn dog stand that I go to. Made friends with the guy that works here right away... He bows at me every time I walk by! Haha

The river that runs through the middle of town


The outdoor area of the High School... The kids are playing badminton (huge sport here) and to the right of them is a dirt soccer field. 


Down the street. The pink decorations were up for Buddha's Birthday.

My apartment from the front... Wonderland is the second floor as you can see, my apartment is the furthest left on the fourth floor.

The view from school. This is the direction towards the river. It was a dreary day.

The start of the mountain literally across the street from my apartment doorstep... in Korea they have these workout machines everywhere! 

 The mountain/park in my backyard





2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie! I must have worked at Wonderland the session before you. It's so funny seeing that apartment posted on someone else's blog. Are you still teaching in Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie, right? I came over shortly after you. I worked with Elizabeth and have met and hung out with Chris before. It is strange to see it! I am already done with my year ending in March. I know the two that are there right now though, and there's another girl going to replace someone in November who has contacted me because of my blog, haha! Are you a teacher now?

    ReplyDelete