Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Taiwan!

I have made it to Taiwan! So far, so good. It's great to see Kalie and hang out with her. It's very warm here, in the 80's but gets a little chilly at night - especially when riding on the scooter (scoot as I like to call it). Everyone here has a scooter, it's awesome. Kalie's is pink and slightly ghetto. We ride it everywhere. Having scooter cuts down on traffic a lot which is nice. They have separate lanes for scooters on some busy streets. So far I've taken a trip to Tainan, a one hour train ride away from Kalie's city to visit my friend for dinner. I spent most the day there checking out the town and all it had to offer me. Other than that I've been hanging out with Kalie and scooting around town to the places she likes to go, such as Costco and ikea! Haha. Taiwan is a lot more normal than Korea but its still Asia. I like it here, the people don't stare at you and mind their own business and give you personal space unlike Korea. It's really fun scooting around too! 

Anping Old Fort - 17th century Dutch seafarers came and developed outposts. There is a banyan tree root still in the wall.
The view from the top of the tower.
Right outside the tower there are a lot of canons.
Anping Tree House - British traders used it for tea exports, during the Japanese occupation it was a warehouse for a salt company. The banyan tree roots have taken over this house!

A view of the tree house.
The roof
They had a little observatory ledge thing overlooking the city.
Jen and her fiancé met me for dinner. She's from Taiwan, I met her when I was in Disney working there. She was a lifeguard with me!
Bubble tea, they love it here. I'm not the biggest fan but I couldn't say no. It's the cool thing to do. Drink bubble tea out of a plastic bag and walk around the street.


Kalie drove me to the beach to check it out!
Costco and Ikea right next to each other
Scoot parking at Costco!
Crazy madness of scoot parking at the largest mall in South Asia.
Kalie's school.

I'm now going to head to Taipei for a few days. More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment