Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sachoom

            Last weekend Clayton and I went to Seoul to hang out with our Korean friend Sally teacher who teaches at our friend Mike’s school in Suwon. She had a whole day trip planned for us in Seoul – super Korean of her. It was so cute, she had this itinerary printed out and then English explanations about all the places we were going to. It was a lot of fun. Her friend joined us as well. We first hung out at the Hanok Villages, which are traditional Korean houses. I had never been there before so it was fun to go see it especially with a Korean who could explain everything to me. Sally took a lot of pictures of us there…


The paper was to make a wish for the new year

A traditional game

We got to wear hanboks (traditional Korean clothes)

Bae Sungmoon bought us all "pokju money" coin purse for the new year




Old school treadmill

Yummy Kimchi pots!



The houses are heated from the floors; Clay pretending to light a fire

Bae Sungmoon, Sally teacher, Clayton

One of the temple areas

After the villages we walked around some temples and ate dinner at a really cute area that I am definitely going back to before I leave Korea. Our night ended with an amazing play/dance musical called Sachoom. It was done using very few words and they were more expressive words that any idiot could figure out what was going on. They also had two screens depicting what the next scene dance was going to be about, it was shown in English/Korean/Chinese/Thai. It was really good to go to. At home I enjoy going to plays with my family a lot. Clayton and I had a really good time with Sally and her friend. 


This hoddok man was SO funny!


In the theater

He was a really funny actor, I liked him

The star female actress

Sunday I spent the day hanging out with my friend Claire/Hyemin. It had been a little while since I’d seen her. She’s my friend that I met while working at Disneyworld. She wanted to spend the day in Paju (essentially North Korea). It was so far north, the second to last stop on the train and very close to the DMZ. Anyways, there is a huge premium outlet mall there that she wanted to go to and pretend she was in the states, not in Korea. It was fun, I was just happy to hang out with her for the day.

Our Korean snacks at a famous Korean little shop

Claire and I at Paju Premium Outlet 

This is probably the thing that bugs me the most about South Korea. There is so much plastic surgery that is performed here and it drives me nuts. All girls want to get it done and look "Western". I don't know how many times I've been complimented on my nose or jaw line or big eyes... Well thanks I really try. It's sooo dumb! 


No comments:

Post a Comment