Sunday, April 3, 2011

My first weekend

This weekend was really fun. I went with Elizabeth to Seoul on Saturday morning. We left at 9:30 in the morning and got there 10:30. The bus costs a little over 6 dollars and it’s an express bus that goes directly to Seoul. So, it’s pretty easy for me to get to Seoul. Elizabeth goes just about every weekend so I will have someone to go with all the time. When we arrived in Seoul Hadley (my friend from high school) met me at the bus station. Her and Elizabeth helped me get a subway card. Hadley and I then took off and went to Olympic park. It was cool to walk around there and see the area. I saw my first Starbucks there!! I got really excited; Hadley bought me a vanilla latte there! 




We then walked around a bit more and eventually went to Costco! There is a Costco two stops away from where Hadley lives which is so convenient. I’m so jealous of her… I bought some Lysol wipes, Febreze spray, Babybel cheese I love, Carr’s crackers, some bagels, and olive oil so I can actually cook some things! 


Saturday night Hadley took me into Seoul to meet some of her friends. It ended up being one girl that she knew there and like 15 other foreign teachers from all over. It was definitely an experience eating with that big of a group, we got fried chicken. Something that I don’t like about Korea is you can smoke anywhere... and everyone smokes! Hadley and I were going to go to a concert with them that night but we were both so tired we couldn’t even keep our eyes open until 11. Lame, I know. Hadley’s apartment is SO HUGE! I’m extremely jealous of her for it. She has two rooms and the guy before her left a ton of stuff. I had two choices of where to sleep; an air mattress or the couch. I chose the couch. I don’t have either in my apt though and my apt is half the size of hers… oh well. I like my apartment. Sunday, I got up at 6am and hung out on the computer. My sleep pattern is getting a little better but I’m still not totally on Korean time yet. When Hadley got up we went to her favorite restaurant and ate breakfast and headed off to the market. The market was fun to walk around in. I miss the farmers market at home. In the market they have a lot of kimchi and full fish staring at you… GROSS! We bought some clementines! 


We explored Guri (the town Hadley lives in… just outside of Seoul) for a while after heading in different stores and going down to the river to see the active life. I made a purchase that I love, I bought some converse shoes that Hadley really wanted but didn’t fit into! Haha. She’s totally jealous of me. I needed to buy shoes to walk around in anyways. Koreans love their converse so I fit in now! I was actually telling my mom a couple months ago how much I wanted converse shoes and miss mine from elementary school. 





When we got back to Hadley’s apartment that afternoon we both passed out and took a nap. Walking around really tires you out. We woke up just in time to get back to the bus station where I had to catch my bus ride back to Hongcheon. Hadley dropped me off with Elizabeth just in time to make the bus. It was such a fun weekend. I’m really happy that Hadley lives relatively close to me. I was lucky to have her guide me around town all weekend and teach me all about the subway and living in Korea, she’s been here for 6 months now. When I got back to my apartment I was so tired I went straight to bed. I was hoping to clean my apartment because Korean’s clean their apartments when they first move in not when they move out so mine is currently dirty. I guess I’ll have to clean my apartment tonight now… oh well. Today is going to be my first day teaching. I’m a little nervous but more excited!

Julie 


1 comment:

  1. you are such a good blogger. A+

    Glad you are having a good time, I like the shoes too!

    ReplyDelete