Friday, April 22, 2011

cherry blossoms

Lately I’ve been super busy so I haven’t blogged at all, sorry Dad. Last week I was planning on going to visit my best friend Kalie from home. She called me at 6am in the morning on Saturday while I was getting ready and she told me she’d been throwing up since 9pm Friday night… needless to say, I didn’t go see her. I instead went down to the bus station cancelled my ticket to Daegu and got a ticket to Seoul instead. I then woke up my friend Hadley at 7am telling her I was coming to Seoul and hoped she’d want to hang out with me!! Haha. Saturday was fun, we went to a park where the cherry blossoms trees were. These trees only bloom for a very short period of time, I think maybe 2 weeks they’re out in bloom. So I was very excited to see them because I’m going to miss lilac’s at home… We had a little picnic in the park and sat around eating and playing with a soccer ball Hadley bought. 
Where we had our picnic in the park

Bugs... 
 Hadley eating a bug! (and yes, I tried one too. It tasted like the earth)

A little park area by the river

Later that afternoon we headed to a FC Seoul soccer game! It was awesome. I love that Korean’s are obsessed with soccer here. 


 Free face painting
 They love taking pictures with Americans here...




After the game my friend I met on the plane ride over here Jinwoo, wanted to meet up with Hadley and I for dinner. It was really fun and good to talk to a Korean who actually speaks English. Jinwoo was just in San Diego going to school for international business. He says he misses the US and wants to go back. His parents are now living in LA with a family business and he’s here living with his grandparents here now and has a curfew of 11pm! 


The next day Hads took me to Itaewon where we met her friend Addie from Chicago and Jinwoo. We walked around a bit. Ate some food and ice cream then hopped in a cab that took us to a park to walk around. The park we ended up going to was amazing. It was called the family park which had a huge museum in the middle of it. When we walked up to the park there was live music playing on the stage by the museum. I really enjoyed the park, it reminded me a lot of the sculpture garden at home with more open areas to play and sit around. I’m definitely going back there for a picnic with a soccer ball or Frisbee as soon as I get a chance. We went in the museum also, it was huge and the best part is that it was free! A lot of museums here are free which is spectacular. The weekends here are the best part of my week. 

 Behind this gazebo thing is the museum (tan building)




 Huge bench!



Inside the museum


More to come soon,
Julie


2 comments:

  1. Julie, wonderful pictures you took! That bug....try it...it's delicious. I like your pictures playing soccer, korean moms, soccer stadium, street vendors,...you alread had a hell of an experience there. Enjoy more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh, you tried it already....i really liked those bugs when I was young..it tasted like candy at that time. now it's a little different, though.

    Have a great time there!

    ReplyDelete