Wednesday, April 18, 2012

melbourne take 1


So, I decided to keep on writing for my friends and family to keep them updated on where I am in the world because I am still traveling about. Jessica and I have made our 25 hour journey to Australia. I thought the trip over here would be a lot worse than it was. I was surprisingly fine on the flights. I took a advil pm on the big 13.5 hour flight which I think helped a lot. When we arrived, we were both pretty well adjusted and didn’t have much jetlag. 
We are currently in Melbourne. We were staying at a hostel the first three nights and are now at our friends Brett and Ahrum’s house. Brett is an Australian that worked with Kalie (my best friend) in South Korea and Ahrum is Brett’s fiancĂ©. Ahrum is South Korean so it’s nice that Jessica can have a Korean friend here as well. They are both so nice and caring. It’s really comforting to have them here as support in Australia.

The view from the rooftop of our hostel.

Wellington - where Ahrum and Brett live

The park in Wellington near their house.


Brett and Ahrum!

So far we’ve just been hanging out around downtown Melbourne. It’s a very small city. It reminds me of Minneapolis in the way it’s set up which I have been told before. The people are so friendly and helpful. I like it a lot but it just feels like a city and I’m not really in Australia. It could just as well be in America besides the fact that people speak with Australian accents and say things like “g’day mate” and “how ya going?” I love their accents. I also love the lemon-scented trees and palm trees all around. Some of the birds common birds here are so colorful as well. The weather is really nice right now. It is winter for them so the nights are a bit chilly but it does get pretty warm and sunny during the day. It feels so tropical here. I think I’m really going to like this place.

Flinders Street Station

The river that runs through town...

Although I really enjoy the city I would like to get out a bit more and explore what this crazy country has to offer. The best way to do that is by car, public transportation here is expensive and not very good. So, Jessica and I are most likely going to get a jeep and set out to explore the land! This should be interesting because they drive on the “wrong” side of the road and the driver’s seat is on the right hand side not the left. This should be interesting…

1 comment:

  1. Julie! That is soo awesome that you are in Australia! So you are moving there then? I just love you and your spirit! Super cool that your Korean friend came with you to America too.. I guess I am going to have to read your blog more regulary for updates, facebook isn't cutting it for the stalking :) Miss you! Looking forward to hearing more about Australia, so keep writing! xoxox

    ReplyDelete