Monday, November 7, 2011

Yangpyeong tourney!

Last weekend we had a soccer tournament in Yangpyeong. It was my last tournament with the team. We played two games on Saturday. The first game we played a team that we’ve played a bunch for practice in the past. All of their teammates know me and call me by name.  If they’re not playing against us then they usually cheer for me and say “Julie Fighting” It’s actually quite funny.  One of the teammates on their team speaks English pretty well and lived in Utah for a couple of years, she wasn’t there though. I’m not sure where she was. She’s really nice. It was a good game. They are a good team. We ended up winning though. I scored a goal from just inside of the 18. The next game we played was a good team as well. It was a team that I don’t think we’ve ever played. Eunju scored a header goal off of one of my corner kicks. It was a really pretty goal. After the second game a bunch of their teammates came up to me and wanted to tell me “good” with a thumbs up. Some wanted to shake my hand but one just went in for the hug… She wanted to tell me that we were the same number and that she’ll see me tomorrow (in Korean of course, there was a guy standing next to me that knew a little English).  She was really cute actually and so happy.
            Sunday we had a game in the morning that we ended up loosing in overtime. We played Yangpyeong; they were pretty good. It was a very frustrating game for me. First off, it was raining which was annoying. Secondly, they put two girls on me at all times from the first whistle. At one point I shoved one to the ground and was super surprised I didn’t even get a call. I was expecting a card to be honest; it was really bad. The two marking me wore me down quite a bit. It was exhausting not being able to walk or even tie your shoe. Unfortunately we didn’t get a goal and the game ended in a tie.  We went right into PK’s. No overtime play. We ended up loosing, pretty sucky way to loose. We didn’t go home empty handed though; we still got third by being at that game. 


COOOAAACh!

Sunbok and I. She's super animated and one of my favorites on the team. She was number 5 already so she told me to be 15. 

The two girls stalking me... 

"Hongcheon Fighting" picture...

PK, hard pass to the corner always gets you a goal! 

            I’m not going to lie I’m a kinda sad that that was my last tournament with my team. I really enjoy playing with them. They’re all so funny and really try to communicate with me. You know you’ve made an impact on your teammates when they start speaking English when it’s not even to you. Lately I’ve been hearing some of them saying words like “sorry” or “it’s ok” and “restroom” not even directed at me. It’s great. A lot of them couldn’t say anything to me the first day but now we’re pretty good at communicating, and by we I mean they’ve learned English – I haven’t learned any Korean. Haha. Woops, Sorry bout it. 

After our game on Sunday we went to eat a late lunch in Hongcheon with our trophy. Typical Korea, right after we finished eating the trophy came out and so did the beer in the trophy. Of course I was not exempt from making a speech. Dajeong happened to be there so she could translate what I said. I didn’t say much; I kept it short and sweet. I said, “Thank you for taking me in and letting me join your team. I’m really glad to be a part of it. I will really miss everyone here. I love you guys! Cheers” I think that’s all I said and then drank the beer from the trophy. They all got teary-eyed and some of them were crying after. They were shouting out “Julie I love you, don’t go”. Haha. It was cute. Soccer is not quite over yet though. I guess we have a few more practice games before the snow arrives and then December 9th we’re going to be having a banquet with the whole club.


Getting texts from my teammates makes my day, they put such an effort into talking to me and some texts are really funny. Here are a few that I still have on my phone: (ps <3 means heart) 

 “nicehappilyday ha.ha.ha <3” – from Junglan

“have a nice today! –from sun bok” – from Sunbok

“Happy birthday to you… <3 <3 congratulations!! I love you <3 <3 jung lan me too…. ha ha ha” – from Oksun

“Hi Julie! This week excise soccer program Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 8 p.m Julie, fighting! <3 <3” – from Oksun (a typical text from Oksun on a Monday morning)

“Tonight at 8 p.m have a soccer” – from Oksun (with the daily reminders around 5 o’clock)

“Ok, bon voyage~~!!” – from Oksun (this was when I told her “Julie no soccer. Julie go Daegu” on a Friday night when I was going to visit Kalie in Daegu)

 “areyoudoingplay? lmemily” – from Junglan (it was actually from her 8 year old daughter asking me if I was going to soccer that night – she’s so cute!)





The third place trophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment